Sunday, November 16, 2014

A special gift

A very special friend is getting married this coming weekend, and I can't wait to see her become Mrs. Johnston!  I asked her before I went on maternity leave if there was anything specific that she didn't have on her registry that she wanted.  She mentioned wanting a good apron that she could use in the kitchen.  I immediately knew I wanted to make her one.  :) 
 
I started looking through pinterst and found different features that I wanted to incorporate into one apron, so I kind of made this one up as I went.  I didn't follow a pattern or a tutorial.  I am very proud how this one turned out, and I'm so glad I finished it on time!
 
 
I hadn't had a chance to pick out her fabric before I delivered Abigail so one day when we needed to get out of the house, we had a family outing to Joann's. I found the gray fabric that is the front of the apron and just knew it was perfect. 
 
 
 
I needed the right pairing of fabric to go with the gray front that I found, and I just love polka dots.  I used the polka dots for the back and the ruffles.   
 
 

With the two gray fabrics, I felt like it needed a pop of color and found the turquoise flowers to brighten up the apron. I used the flowers for the pocket and straps.  You can't tell from the pictures, but there are actually two pockets on the front for all Mrs. Johnston might need!  I added the ruffles to the top of the pocket as a last minute addition, and I think it really makes the apron. 

 
 
I added her name because personalization always makes something better!  I used a teal color thread and used a blue thread in the bobbin.  If you look closely, both colors coming through for a neat effect. 
 
 
 
We got to give her the apron at a couples shower a few weeks ago, and now I can't wait for the wedding!  I am praying for beautiful weather to make this day even more special.  We love you Dacota and Mandy!
 


1 comment:

  1. Found you on Sew Many Ways. What an adorable apron! Love the pleated ruffles!

    ReplyDelete