Saturday, June 1, 2013

Desk Make Over

 
I found a desk at a moving sale for $20.  I didn't get a picture of it in it's natural glory.  It was white and had pink butterfly draw pulls.  The perfect desk for a little girl's room, or with a few tweeks... perfect for our study. 
 
Bryan sanded the top of the desk back a couple of months ago the same weekend that we had 13 middle school girls staying at our house for our church's D-Now weekend.  I think it was the perfect project to get him outside and away from the craziness!  I took over after that, and sanded all the other parts of the desk, drawers.
 


 
Then, toward the end of Spring Break, I primed it.  I ran out of time and didn't get a chance to paint it, so our desk went from being painted white to being primed white... I felt very accomplished!  I did have a chance to go get the black paint to paint it, I just didn't have time to do it.
 
 
On a school night once I had started back to school, I painted the desk the "Black Forrest" color.  Unfortunatly, the very nice lady at Lowe's didn't have a clue as to what she was doing.  It came out a dark charcol color with a blueish tint.  NOT BLACK!  At first, I was trying to talk myself into liking it... but it was a real stretch.  When I asked Bryan, he very politily tried to say something, and when I told him to be honest... he said he didn't like it either.  So we took the paint back to Lowe's and tried again with a new color... BLACK (go figure).  I scuffed up the charcol paint with some sandpaper and got started painting again. 
 
 
Can you see my blue drawer next to my black and white dog?  I'm telling you... not black!

 
Can you see a difference now?

 


 


Much better!!


We decided to put a polyurithan coat to protect paint job.  I ended up putting 3 or 4 coats on it... so nothing should scratch this bad boy!


We got it moved in this week and look how awesome!  New finishes make it really pop!

 
 I also ordered a piece of glass for the top to give it even more protection.  We put little felt piece in the draws so that wouldn't stick and have the clear rubber pieces between the desk and the glass.


Bryan was assigned to start setting the desk up.  He was so thrilled!



 
Now all we need is a good desk chair! :)

1 comment: