Monday, August 6, 2012

Homemade Apple Butter

Pintrest brought me the new idea of making crockpot apple butter. Changing My Destiny gave instructions and I kind of followed them. Bryan even helped me peel the apples for this one, I think the idea of homemade apple butter intrigued him. I have to apologize, because I got so excited with the finished product that I forgot to take pictures of it completed....


I started with a bag of Red Delicious Apples, some Cinnamon, All Spice, Brown Sugar and some water.  The original recipe called for  1/4 cup Brown Sugar, 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon All Spice.  I ended up using WAY more on accident. 



Core, cut and peel the apples.  Bryan got to help on this part. :)



Chop Apples. Toss Peels.


This is where I didn't understand.  I wasn't using bowls big enough.  So in another bowl, (still not big enough) I put the Brown Sugar, All Spice and Cinnamon together and mixed some of the apples into it.


The problem was that the small amount of apples used up all of the mixture.  So I made it again and put the next batch in... same thing. So I ended up putting 4 or 5 times more of the 3 ingredients than I was supposed to.  Next time in a Large bowl I will just add the Brown Sugar, All Spice and Cinnamon to the apples and stir as best as possible and not worry about getting every apple covered with it. 


Plop those bad boys into your crock pot on low and walk away.  Let it cook overnight (or about 12 hours) on low.  When you wake up, prop the top open with a wooden spoon and turn the crock pot to high for about 3 more hours.  It should cook down and thicken up. 

This is where I got so excited, I forgot to continue to take pictures.  It looked all "goopy" and at this point, tasted delicious.  I put it in my food processor to give it an even texture.  All in all, I only got about 1 cup, maybe 1 1/2 cups of the butter, but it is really good.  I made some warm biscuits to spread on it... heaven!  I put about 1/4 of it in the refrigerator and froze the rest in small portions so it will be perfect for 2 people to enjoy a nice serving.

P.S.- It makes your house smell like heaven!  This would be great to have cooking if you are trying to sell you house when people come to look at it... just a thought. :) 

1 comment: